Saturday, May 28, 2011

Back Again

It's been six months since my last update and so much has happened in that time. While all of it is relevant and directly relates to my latest health and fitness challenges I won't recount all of the ups and downs-- I'll just say that I SURVIVED IT ALL!!!

So, I'm back again.

This time,like all of the others I plan to stick to it, continue my journey, improve my health, make healthy eating and exercise routine and a part of my life from now on... yada, yada, yada. I know, I've said it all before. What's so different this time. This time, all of the things doctors have warned me about for years are actually my reality-- high cholesterol, diabetic, morbidly obese (defined as body mass of 40 or more), migraines, flashing lights in my eyes, hot flashes, irregular period, lack of energy and mood swings. I'm sure there are some other symptoms that I just can't pin point right now.

How do I beat this? There is so much to beat....

My endocrinologist says my diabetes and cholesterol can be controlled and quite possibly eliminated with diet, exercise and weight loss. The migraines, hot flashes, irregular period, lack of energy and mood swings are all a result of stress. My gynecologist performed hormonal testing and there is no reason why I should be having hot flashes and missing my periods. I am way too young for menopause or perimenopause. When I realized that stress was effecting me like this I was so mad at myself, I was making myself sick. I decided that I could and would turn this around.

Upon diabetes diagnosis, my doctor gave me a medication that would help to control my blood sugar and help make my body produce more insulin. It's a once a day injection that I take every morning called Victoza. The medication slows up digestion and decreases my appetite. The medication is helping with my weight loss. I began taking the medication on Thursday, April 28, 2011 and at that time I weighed 242 pounds, today I weigh 230.2 pounds. I am happy with the weight loss but I know that just taking an injection and barely eating will not truly solve my problems and help my beat all of this. I decided that I needed to do more.

What would I do? I couldn't just do the usual gym circuit, I needed more. I needed something that would work my mind, body and soul. On May 1st my brother told me he was going to Bikram Hot Yoga of Rego Park. He as singing the hot yoga praises and told me that I should try it out. I googled it and learned that it was yoga in a 105 degree room. I have never really tried yoga outside of a yoga dvd and the heated room did not sound too appealing. I read about all of the great benefits of Bikram Yoga and decided to try it out.

My first day was Saturday, May 21st. The class was 90 minutes of PURE FIRE!!! The heat was unbearable, it was humid, there was a little funk in the room, I sweat more than I ever have in my life, my body could not easily get into all of the poses, my fat body was getting in the way, I was the biggest person in the room, on the second pose I thought I would pass out, I was dizzy, I felt like I would throw up and I hadn't eaten for the day. I stuck with it and tried to do each of the 26 poses and the two breathing exercise. It was the most challenging thing I have ever done with my body. When I walked out I was dizzy. I had to sit in my car for about 15 minutes before I could drive off. About an hour later I felt great. That night I expected to sleep through the night but I still didn't sleep too well. I had less hot flashes and I felt good.

Bikram Yoga of Rego Park gives first timers a deal 15 consecutive days of unlimited classes for $25. I decided that I would go for 15 consecutive days. On day two my instructor said that Bikram Choudhury, the creator of Bikram Yoga maintains that 60 consecutive days of Bikram Yoga will change your life, body and mind. Right then I decided that I would do 60 days.

Today is day 8. I am going to the 4:15pm class. I have been to seven classes in the past week and it has been quite a challenge. I am doing a little better in the classes but I still have a hard time. It is a challenge while I'm in the room but I feel so good that I have to keep going every day. I am sleeping more, the hot flashes are almost gone, no headaches, everyone says my skin is constantly glowing and that I look great, my skin is softer than it ever has been, my mood is even and good, I'm not letting little things bother me and I am in a good place.

I will post some updates as I continue on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment