Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What the Hell am I Taking

Since my day officially began at noon, I had a whole lot of catching up to do. I decided that I would do a little research on the appetite suppressant I'm taking.

First, I read the information from the Pharmacist--"Phendimetrazine *Program Tab 35MG- Why is it prescribed? For short-term management of obesity. I hate that word!! OBESITY!! It just sounds so severe. I couldn't possibly be obese. Wikipedia defines obesity as "a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse affect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy Body mass index (BMI), which compares weight and height, is used to define a person as overweight (pre-obese) when their BMI is between 25 kg/m2 and 30 kg/m2 and obese when it is greater than 30 kg/m2." My BMI is currently 36 kg/m2, with that BMI at my age I weigh more than 91% of comparable American women. Okay, I am OFFICIALLY OBESE. You can check your BMI at http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm


Now that I know I have a real diagnosis, I need to understand the Phendimetrazine better.
"Phendimetrazine is "used in the short-term treatment of obesity. The appetite-reducing effect tends to decrease after a few weeks. Because of this, the medicine is useful only during the first few weeks of a weight-loss program. This sympathomimetic appetite suppressant can help you to lose weight while you are learning new ways to eat and to exercise. Changes in eating habits and activity level must be developed and continued long-term in order for you to continue losing weight and to keep the lost weight from returning."

I ended my research right here. This was my plan. I just want to use the pills for a little kick start. I know that in order for me to be successful at this I have to change the way I view and consume food and I also know that exercise has to become a constant part of my daily life. The crazy thing is I actually enjoy the way I feel when I'm working out. Why is it so hard for me to begin and commit to a diet and exercise plan? I probably will never understand the why of this and it really does not matter. I just have to do it. I have to do it to live.

Please hold me accountable as I travel along this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment