"The single best way to get fit is with faith" writes Leslie Sansone in her book Walking the Walk: Getting Fit with Faith (FaithWords). I just finished reading an interview with Leslie and found her words interesting and encouraging. What do you think?
"How are fitness and faith related?
Many times when women start a new exercise regime, their willpower fades, and they realize they can't do it alone. They're right! But thankfully, we don't have to. We can ask God to nudge us out of bed and into our sneakers. We can ask him to provide the inner strength and discipline we lack. We can ask him to help us become good stewards of our God-given body. When we find God faithful in this area of our life, we're more prone to depend on him in other areas as well—such as relationships and finances.
I hear from many people who use my walking DVDs in a church group. They get together, pray, and exercise. In our society, where our sedentary lifestyle and increasing obesity are making us sick, a church-sponsored fitness class is a wonderful way to serve our neighbors. And it can be a great open door for conversations about how to become spiritually healthy as well.
Keeping fit also expresses love for God. When we fully appreciate how we're fearfully and wonderfully made in his image, we can't help but be grateful. We can't help but care for the precious vessel God's given us. Being physically healthy also better enables us to serve the people around us—our neighbors, coworkers, friends, and family. In fact, one of the best gifts to give our children is the model of a mom who exercises regularly."
Full article
http://www.christianitytoday.com/tcw/2008/marapr/1.22.html?start=4
This article made me consider my own faith in myself and God. I began to realize that Leslie is right. I am not alone in this. If God faithfully gives me the strength to get up everyday and conquer all of the obstacles put before me daily then I know he can give me the strength to fight this fat and win once and for all.
The Dieter's Prayer
Excerpted from The Dieter's Prayer Book. Copyright 2000 by Heather Harpham Kopp.
Dear God, I admit that I have come to both loveand hate the word "diet."On the one hand, it represents hope for change.On the other hand, it's like a sign flashing "Failure ahead!"I don't want to simply embark on another faulty plan, Lord.I want to embark on a journey with Youthat is led by You and depends on Your power.I can do nothing on my own!Show me the right path that will enable me to change.Show me, as only You, who knows me so intimately, canwhat works for me, what is healthy for me.I want to think of this venture in positive terms, Lord--not that I am signing up to be miserable or in want.I want to learn to redirect my thinking, to feed my bodywhat it truly needs when it truly needs it.And to feed my soul with the Bread of Life--You!Today I place my future, my failures, my setbacks,all of my hopes and plans into Your hands.There alone will I find meaningand true success in my life. Amen
Well, you know what they say happens when two or more people believe and ask the Lord for something on one accord. I already believe that WE ALL CAN DO IT. All of us can make better life choices, eat better, execrise more and be healthy together. Will you believe with me?
ReplyDelete